Vaccinations Are Helpful?

Zoë Bennett-Wendell, Reporter

Vaccinations have been a touchy subject lately, and I decided to climb right into this controversy. I talked to two people during this journey, a freshman and Nurse Carol. But first I did my own research on New York Times, about the flu shot this year, because flu season is hitting hard right now. This year is doing well in Oregon, for the vaccinations match the strain that is going around. Sadly, you can’t get the live vaccine this year, also known as the nose spray. This is because of some complications with the live strain, which is for the better because people with any problems with their immune system can’t have this type of vaccination. So, the question here is, what are vaccinations? Google defines it as a biological preparation that provides active acquired immunity to a particular disease. They have been used to eradicate many deadly diseases completely, for the virus doesn’t have a host that isn’t protected. But, good things don’t last forever. Recently there’s been an anti-vaccination movement (known as anti-vacc) where people believe different things about vaccinations, and are against getting them, and their children. I talked to one of them, a freshman. “I haven’t gotten any vaccinations in the last year years,” they said, “They put so many other things inside of them, so that could really harm me.” I went to look this up, and it’s false. The only other thing in vaccinations than the vaccination, is sodium, because it needs more substance inside of the injector.

How does this anti-vacc movement mean bad things for the general public? Well, there’s been many outbreaks of diseases that have an easy vaccination to them, which is harmful for people who have compromised immune systems, and have no way of protecting themselves from this disease. People who don’t or can’t get immunized have to rely on herd immunity. Herd immunity is defined as a general immunity to a pathogen in a population based on the acquired immunity to it by a high proportion of members over time. So, if everyone around you is protected from this virus, they won’t get it, which lowers your chance to get it. If the people around you decide to just not get vaccinated, then this heightens your chances of getting it. What about the people in school who can’t get vaccinated? To my dismay, I learned that people can just opt out of getting vaccinations, and still be in school. “If you want to opt out of vaccinations, you have to watch an informative video, and then you decide if you want to opt out or not.” said Nurse Carol. Before, people could just come in and opt out by signing one piece of paper, so they got a lot of people who just don’t like needles. With using this method, the amount of people opting out of vaccinations have decreased by at least 50%. As you see, the more informed people are on what vaccines are and why they are important, the more people want to get them and do their civic duty to those who aren’t privileged enough to be able to be protected!