Cross Country is Back in Style at JC!

Arianna Santiago, Reporter

The Junction City High School Cross Country team has grown tremendously in the past four years. In 2013 the team only had a total of 10 people and were not very good. However, over the years the team has risen, with over 20 people, from being one the weakest links in fall sports to one of the strongest at JCHS.

Last year, the girls team ran their way to State, something that had not been done since 1979. The boys team also placed a strong 3rd place at districts and because of how far the teams went last year, the expectations this year are higher than ever. The team works hard everyday at practices and at their meets to make it to the next level. A general practice involves either one of two things: long runs for endurance, or speed workouts.

“Our boy’s team is really talented this year and we are expecting to go to state and win districts. The girl’s team is also doing very well. They are definitely going to State and have a better chance of placing at state than the boys.” said, senior Pete Frazee, the boys’ captain. This year the competition among the boys teams in the league is higher than ever. The boys team at JCHS is currently first in league but only by a couple points.

However, Cross Country is not all work, over the season the team becomes very close and has a lot of fun.

“The environment of the team is very friendly, accepting, fun, happy, and always joyful. Every sport says that their team is like a family but I think it’s especially true for Cross Country because it’s a co-ed sport and we’re all going through the same pain when we run and we push each other to do better.” said, senior Shayla Solomon, the girls’ team captain.
img_3831